Thursday, November 13, 2008

Water Block

I started of a copper block 76x82x19.5 and milled it to 80x69x19 to fit into my CPU cooling clamp unit. I was planning to make my water block with a fast flowing fin design because of the lack of proper head from my pump and the fact that my system presses the cooling block onto the CPU from a central pressure point.
However... There were no small milling tips in the workshop. The smallest one i could find was 16mm, therefore the fin idea was aborted for a clean free flow setup.
However... when i almost finished the inner block design i dropped the cutter while removing it. This left me with a asymmetrical center block. Oooo well...

Not too bad at all i think. Here is a video of us milling the flow profile for the water.



It took most of the day to do this but it was so worth it. The block finish was smooth and shiny and ready for soldering. I then too the 2mm plate and drilled to 10mm holes in it and places the pipe connection in them. I placed the newly made "lid" on the milled block in the stove to be soldered. The large amount of heat did the trick and the water block was one after only about 2 mins of soldering.


To make sure i was still on the right track i decided to do a fitting of the un-finished block in the PC. I found that because there was such a limited space in the case the pipes clashed with the hard drive bay.



Therefore I kicked the floppy drive out and moved the drive one level up. Here you can see that there is enough space for the pipe to bend with out any kinks in it to restrict the water flow.


I know the water block is far from completion but at least i now know it all fits. The Next step is to sand and clean the block. Then before i give it the final go-ahead i'll pressure test it to 6bar so that i know i won't loose my "Busty Blond".


No comments: