Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pump Selection

I went down to my local hardware store and bought the cheapest pump i could find seeing that
I'm on a on a very tight budget.



It is rated at 1100 liters/hour and has a 1.3m head. I only later did my research and found that the pumps that are used in mainstream water cooling systems have 2x the head but half the flow rate. Looking deeper into the situation I realized the head was thee to over come the friction in the system. Therefore i needed to make my pipes shorter and thicker and my block easier to flow through otherwise I would not get any flow through my system.

This what my Pump Box said


sorry for the poor quality but the cheap box was printed badly.

I did some re-testing to make sure the system works okay. After some measuring i found that the pump has a flow rate of about 4 liter/min with 4 meter of 10mm hose which seems good enough to get the job.

No comments: